To achieve international recognition as a reliable and trusted source and facilitator of sources of metadata, data and information about the languages of the world
To provide an independent, multi-disciplined international centre for research, verification and validation of data and information about the languages of the world
Given the fact that a large number of formal and informal, explicit and implicit standards exist with respect to language and language resources in a totally scattered way, The World Language Documentation Centre will
- inform about, collect and document such standards, in order to make them easily accessible,
- support the documentation of information about languages,
- facilitate the further development, buy in and take up of pertinent International Standardization.
In order to achieve these objectives, The World Language Documentation Centre will provide a platform to
- serve as a conduit for information in the field of its scope to relevant industries, education, standardization and research organizations,
- formulate and implement a strategy for the collection and dissemination of this information,
- encourage participation in an open and transparent manner,
- facilitate research activities in the field of language documentation,
- act as a documentation centre for research in cooperation with other stakeholders striving for similar or complementary goals, and
- deliver authoritative and standardized data.